24 Hours old in Swaziland

Monday, December 7, 2009

INSET Christmas Party

Last Wednesday, my department within the Ministry of Education, (INSET)(In-service Education and Training) held our Christmas Party at Maguga Gorge near Nhlangano (about 90 minutes from Mbabane). It was a full-day event including an official ‘program’ and a braai (cookout). The morning began at 7:30am with me meeting some of my colleagues and government transport in Manzini. Not many people in Swaziland own vehicles; and if they do, they are definitely not used for work purposes. Therefore, each business or clinic or government agency often has a couple of vehicles and employs a couple of drivers in order to drive people to meetings. Some of you know that I am narcoleptic in the car; so, having a driver is particularly helpful when I need to go long distances within in the country. One of the things that I enjoy most about being driven around is having a captive audience for practicing siSwati. Doug and I have been taking lessons for 4 months and when a driver is trapped in the car with me, I always take advantage of the opportunity to speak and to ask questions. In the case of last Wednesday, there happened to be 4 Swazis in the car (usually it is just me and the driver) which was more like an ‘immersion course’ as opposed to the tutoring session I normally negotiate. At any rate, we arrived at the gorge and the hosts were already busy heating the charcoals for the braai and setting up the tables, etc. The program began with a prayer, as is traditional Swazi practice when starting a meeting or event, and then a song, and then introductions. This was my shining siSwati speaking moment because there was only one other white person present (umlungu) and I managed to introduce myself to the 43 people in siSwati! I had met about 12 of them before, but since the Christmas Party included not only the professional staff but also the cleaners, gardeners, drivers, clerks and receptionists within the department, there were many new faces. Here’s what I said:

Sonibonani | Hello (to more than one person)

Ngisafundza siSwati | I am still learning siSwati

Kodvwa, ligama lami ngingu Paisley | But, my name is Paisley

Ngiyasebenta INSET ga Manzini | I am working for INSET in Manzini

Ngiphuma eMelika | I come from America

Ngifikile Eswatini 1 August 2009 | I arrived in Swaziland on the first of August

Ngihlahla Mbabane ngoba umyeni wami umdokotella| I stay in Mbabane because my husband is a doctor

Ngiyabonga ka khulu | Thank you very much

The good news was people very graciously applauded my efforts; the bad news was everyone assumed I spoke the language for real and continued to speak to me in siSwati for the rest of the day! Let’s just say that I practiced my introduction at home and that I (in all likelihood) am probably only able to understand about 60% of what is said to me on a daily basis. So, some parts of the party will be omitted for the sole reason that I had no idea what was going on. Following introductions, there was a ‘news report’ which was really more like a comedy sketch, then there were a few speeches, a huge lunch, and finally a good old fashion game of tug of war. In between, people appreciated the beautiful surroundings and caught up with friends from other regions of the country whom they don’t regularly see. I felt very proud to have been included and thoroughly enjoyed my day at the Christmas Party.

The set-up of the party/lunch table

The braai

The 'welcome' by Graham (Nhlangano Teacher Resource Center (TRC) Director)

The 'news report' by Tennis and Graham (Tennis is one of the drivers for Manzini)

Traditional lunch including 'pap (maizemeal), bean salad, beet salad, creamed spinach, simp (stewed beans), and chicken'

Tug of war

Patricia (the receptionist at the Manzini Office, where I work)

Pauline and her sister Paula (Pauline is the Secretary for the Manzini Office and her sister is a cleaner at the Siphofaneni TRC)

Girlie (the cleaner at the Manzini Office)

Imvula and Tennis (the drivers for the Manzini Office)

Views of Maguga Gorge

The 'goody bag' for the party was a 2L of soda. Penelope and Susan are organizing the give-a-way (Penelope is a lecturer for the Nhlangano TRC and Susan is a new Peace Corps Volunteer who is working at the Mankanyane TRC)

No comments:

Post a Comment