24 Hours old in Swaziland

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Royal Swazi

On Tuesday, Jason and I took another lap around the links. This marked the third time we’ve taken our part-time employed selves out for a round of golf. And honestly, every time, we walk away saying that ‘we should do this more often!’ It is just that enjoyable. So, let the record show, for all of the tantrums I threw and for all of the whining that may or may not have taken place on the practice tee/putting green when I was little; thank you Mom and Dad. I am very happy that I learned to play this seemingly frustrating game VERY early in life because now I can enjoy it. As a kid, it was really the ‘being quiet and well behaved’ part that was slightly inconvenient. Golf etiquette is serious and not something that I really wanted to deal with as a kid. I mean, why can’t you run on a green? It is so nice and trim and just begging to be torn across. These were the thoughts that I remember having as a say, ten year old dragging my 6 clubs around 3 holes because that’s about as far as I ever made it. Alas, now I am an adult and seeking out this sport in Swaziland.

The first couple of times that we played, we played the municipal course in town. But, since we felt that we had graduated to the big times, we drove into the Ezulwini Valley and tee’d-off on the Royal Swazi. Lucky for us, it was a weekday morning and there wasn’t a lot of competition.

Not too much else to report – other than the Diet Cokes in the halfway house were ZAR17. They are usually ZAR 6 at a gas station or in the store, so this was quite a ‘Royal’ mark-up. And, we lost 2 balls on the FIRST hole (I blame the leaves on the ground). And, we might’ve had a ‘snowman’ or two…I can’t remember, exactly. But, the views were amazing and it was just another great day in Swaziland.

No comments:

Post a Comment