24 Hours old in Swaziland

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wait for it...Wait for it...Our HOME


Many of you hypothesized about our residence in Mbabane…the most frequent theory was that we’d be living in a mud hut with a thatched roof somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, this is not the case. We are definitely not hardcore because we are living in a 4 bedroom condominium that is Spanish style and literally could have been plucked from our neighborhood in Long Beach. We are living in the political capital and have modern conveniences like potable water, flushing toilets, and a washing machine! Really, the only thing that we are lacking is heat! We have a fireplace that is on overdrive because it is winter here in Swaziland and we live in the mountains (about 4000-5000 feet) which means it is even a little bit cooler than the lowlands. I have equated it to ‘winter camping’ because I swear I can see my breath in our bedroom at night, but Doug would call that an exaggeration, for sure. Without further adieu, here are photos of the exterior of our home, our master bedroom/bathroom, living room, and dining room. We are a bit overwhelmed by the size of our place given that in Long Beach we proudly owned 847 square feet of real estate, so in September, we’ll be moving to another unit on our compound which is only a 3 bedroom. This will still leave ample room for guests, but I am hoping it will be easier to heat via the fireplace if we downsize! Plus, our rent is actually out of the budget that Baylor provides us for living expenses, so the move next month will hopefully resolve each of these concerns. We have a brand new guest bed that we hope is calling your name…

1 comment:

  1. Paisley - this so nice!! It is not like anything I imagined well...I even know what I imagined! So my friend Suzen and I went to dinner last night - a comedy of errors - she is a vegetarian and yes there was meat in her dish, floating things in her drink needless to say we won't be returning there anytime soon lol...we saw Spring Awakening AMAZING - anyways I told her about the trip - she has been to Africa, India, Israel, Iceland etc she is thinking of traveling with me!! She told me about a site called Sky Auction she used when she went to Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete